I absolutely love these exercises because they don’t require any special equipment, so they can be done nearly anywhere, anytime!
Note: These exercises can be done on your hands, or if you have wrist pain an alternative is to rest on your elbows with your forearms on the ground. Be sure to keep your elbows directly below your shoulders if you choose to do this variation.
1. STRAIGHT LEG LIFTS
Start on all fours in a crawling position, with your hands directly under your shoulders, and knees directly below hips.
• keeping your hips level, straighten out your left leg so that only your right knee is on the ground.
• Tighten your core muscles to keep your back in a neutral position throughout the exercise.
• Keeping your left leg straight, lift it directly upwards behind you, flex your foot and lead with the heel of your foot.
• At the top of the motion, squeeze your glutes to try and lift just that little bit higher.
Complete the desired number of reps, then repeat on the right side.
Do 10 - 40 leg lifts per side, 2-3 times.
2. DONKEY KICKS
• Start on all fours, with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
• Keep your right knee at a 90-degree angle as you slowly raise your leg behind you until your thigh is almost parallel to the floor. Pulse your flexed foot toward the ceiling by squeezing your glutes. Your back should remain perfectly still in a neutral spine. The motion should be small and controlled with the muscle doing the work and not momentum.
• Return to start position to complete one rep.
Complete the desired number of reps, then repeat on the other side.
Do 10 - 40 on each side, 2-3 times.
Tip: Keep your back straight and in neutral alignment, pay special attention that you don't arch your back. Use your muscles to create a slow, controlled movement — do not swing your legs.